20% Project Reflection 1

I am taking a class in Digital Humanities, and one of the things we touched on was immersion in technology. This really intrigued me, both as an English major, and as a topic for this project. I think that technology immersion has great potential in the classroom, and I know that there are many websites and apps that use this immersion that could really appeal to kids, and help them learn. It is a way for them to engage with something instead of just reading it (like Alice for the iPad) or looking at it (www.monet2010.com), etc.

I think the book aspect of technological immersion is very interesting, especially if you believe that schools will one day be using iPads and e-books/apps to teach their classes. This could open up SO many opportunities for this kind of learning! Think about the typical algebra problem, where train A is going one speed, and train B is going another -- how much could it help a student to actually visualize the problem being asked? How much would it help them to see what they are actually looking for, to be engaged in the problem, to have some kind of control over it? I think it would be an amazing teaching tool! Plus, personally, word problems were always my weak point. There were so many elements, and I could never understand what I needed to figure out in order to solve the problem. I couldn't get from point A to point B so that I could then get to point C, because I would be lost in the problem. I didn't know what I needed to look for. But if I had something like this, I know that it would be a completely different learning experience, and that it could help a lot. I have been thinking and researching a lot about it, and using technology to immerse the student in what they are learning could be a very, very powerful tool.

No comments:

Post a Comment